Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Taliban announced that it was suspending peace talks with Americans....no surprise there. President Hamid Karzai declared U.S. should confine troops to major bases next year in reaction to an American soldier's killing of 16 civilians in Kandahar Sunday.

Obama responded to the Sunday's killings saying a "thorough investigation," would be conducted into the incident and would not alter the policy or timetable for war in Afghanistan. No details about the circumstances about the attack have been released. At this point, I am ok with this because I do not think it is smart to rush to judgment, but the truth is the whole world has already made their judgments and maybe having the facts out there would help refute any incorrect thoughts.

The first thought I have is what will happen to this soldier, the second what is the best approach for America in terms of handling the situation from a public relations standpoint because right now this incident has definitely shot some holes in the country's trust and credibility. Probably the best thing to do is publicly acknowledge there was wrong-doing and provide some small explanation of how this happened. This would provide some resolution and show others the country is not just going to push this issue under the rug. I think it is in the best interest of the public as a whole to be upfront with this situation, as long as it does not endanger any troops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.