Thursday, April 5, 2012

Ethics of Meat

Eating meat is so much a part of my daily life that I have never stopped to question whether or not it is ethical behavior. When I am hungry...I eat. And since I have become accustomed to ingesting meat at almost every meal, it does not seem complete without it.

Those who are non-meat-eaters would say that this practice is essentially taking part in the killing of another living thing, but if we want to get technical, I do not "kill" any of the meat I eat. When it arrives in my home, it is already packaged and pre-portioned for easy cooking. Also, taking the term "living thing," into consideration, would also place all those vegetables under that umbrella term. When you pick all those peas or tomatoes off a plant nobody calls that "killing," but you are stopping the growth process. So if one looked at eating through the lens of cosmpolitanism, than humans could not eat anything at all. We have to eat living things to recieve the nutrients we need to survive. But if we took the well being of every living thing out there than nutrients could not be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.